Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Attack of the Tesol

So, I guess my blog is similar to Star Wars. My episodes are out of order. This one falls in place immediately after I leave Mel and meet people at a hotel. Let's call it... 'Venture On, attack of the Tesol'. 

Walking in to a strange group of people you've never met before... I've done this all too many times in the past. I'm almost worn out. I know some of these relationships will be significant but most will not be. I'm not trying to be cynical at all but this is what happens when you spend a few weeks with people. You make friendships with few that will last longer and be stronger. There isn't anything wrong with it but knowing this realty I tend to now not engage as much as first. I let the rain settle and I wait to make my ripple. That sounds weird...

I meet Justin, Kyle and Krissy first. Krissy is running around asking Justin questions I'm not sure of, talking about cards and phone calls. Soon I realize it's one of the horrors of being abroad. You lose your ATM/credit card. Or the machine eats it. Somehow it's gone.
Yikes! I immediately have sympathy for her knowing the struggles if contacting companies and banks while abroad. I say nothing and mind my business.

Kyle. He reminds me of my friend Josh. One of my best friends from home, but for some reason I didn't ever picture Josh doing this. Wait, I thought. Duh, this isn't Josh. It's Kyle. They are different. Sometimes it's really difficult to separate individuals in your head. I think that relates to stereotyping a lot too. Who knows maybe Josh would do this. I have no clue. But it makes me think, will I or anyone ever truly be culturally competent? Will someone ever not stereotype? Is it inevitable? I believe there are different levels of it all but really, it's so in depth I feel like I can't comprehend most of it. It's almost an overwhelming thing to think about. I stop. I'm back in the breakfast area where all the soon to be English teachers are meeting to eat.

I see Katie again. She takes a seat with some other people.

AH! I meet the now known as 'hundred baht' this guy is awesome. He has an extremely deep voice. He has quite a character about him that I can't quite put my finger on, though it's not a bad thing. It's somewhat inviting. He's got a sense of humor and loves to talk to people. On fact he was talking to me on Facebook well before we met in person. We were both backpacking in Thailand for a little beforehand. He has been to Thailand before. It's nice to have a modest traveler to talk to.

I can't help but feel like sometimes I get excited and want to share my experiences with people, solely because I was alone and couldn't share it with anyone. Like India. I find myself talking about it often. I'm not sure what but I think there is something going on in my head now. It struck a nerve or something. I've been having flashbacks. I wake up in the night sometimes. Feeling like I'm there. But then I have other amazing sights in my mind of the Taj, the Ganges river.... It's such a wild mix if emotions. Though here I go again.. I know sometimes I'm a modest traveler, but I think this is one thing that I can't stop talking about. I even annoy myself. I just hope I don't annoy others.

Were now in vans. Katie, Me, Meghan Zach, Madeline and Charney. 

These few were my first victims of excitement and stories.

Our stop at Mcdonalds and Starbucks was a western relief. We all relax on a couple hour ride to Hua Hin. We are provided some guidance on phones, cash/banks/ATMs, and where to go for goods. We were given time to go around the mall.

We split into small groups to locate anything we will need for our first few days. I buy hardly anything compared to some. A fan, some cereal, snacks and food. Oh and of course some good ol' toilet paper. 

I am approached by a small Asian girl, who says 'sooo you must be Harrison'.... I'm confused, flattered, and creeped out at the same time. I replied with a small smirk, 'ummmmm, yeah and you are?' We both laugh and introduce ourselves a little more thorughly. I then said, 'you do that often? Approach people with their name?' Haha.

That was the beginning of my group, The Red Group.

Shortly after I found the little Asian girl under my shoe, I quickly jumped to the side to let her yell at me all of the time. She is a feisty little one that we all got to know and love for her 'I. CANT. EVEN. But really can' attitude.

We all rushed around for necessities and foooooood! Me: toilet paper. Gotta have it. Sorry but I ain't no bushwhacked man. I'm a full grown man with some manorilla puberty hair. That needs wiping. No squirt squirt or hand wipin will do the trick. Now that the graphic part is over...
I looked to my left to see two odd individuals carrying their cart outside to the group waiting location. One with a fan and one with a giant knife. What the hell?
We don't have kitchens! It was pretty funny and cool, though. These fond individuals are now two of my good HuaHin made friends, Jessie and Stacey.
Back to Suchaya House.

We moved in together, learned together, practiced together, taught together, drank together, went crazy together, and were tourists together... We were the red group in the TESOL certification course. Friendships were made, drama was swarming around us, and we could have been the next 'Real World' house.

Almost every day we were practicing our extremely similar lessons, to the most minimal and easiest possible way to teach pronunciation and vocabulary.
It was a brutal process for the first few days because some of us weren't quite sure if we were supposed to be doing it different ways. After the first few, almost all of us were in the groove with these new methodologies. This was a foundation. I do believe it's necessary to make sure teachers are able to do this. And follow direction. First step to being a good leader is to be a good follower. I think..

I feel like I'm getting in the groove and really starting to do well. I feel like I'm on fire. Literally. These temperatures are whaling on my pores so much that on the drive home, standing in the sungtaew, my elbows have a continuous drip. Some would even say waterfalls. I am now known as the most sweaty person these people will ever know. And to think that in 4th grade during recess, I thought I was weird and uncool because I didn't sweat as much as Stefan Bilinski. Pft, I caught up for the missed years I missed out.

Almost every day we entered the pool by the house, and had some beers. I usually say out on some beers because I didn't have much money. I saved for the well worth moments, though. Like the beer pong that Katie and I totally won at the bar, but they said it costs another 200฿ to move on to the next round. Pssshhh. Or the celebratory beers after we successfully made it through day 2. Or successfully made it through day 3. Or successfully made it through day 4. Catch the drift? It was a mad house. Rumors, gossip, who's hot, who's not?

However, we all made it worth it and had a blast. Our placements were being announced slowly, through interviews and demo lessons, to phone calls and trips around the country..

Katie and I were called in. We were told we had interviews. They went well. Or, well enough. Sitting at the interview table, we met Kate and Colleen. Another red team member, Cherene, sat there as well. All soon to be office butt bumpers. We were all told we would be teaching at Assumption Suksa. This branch of school is really well known. All girls. Catholic. Oh shoot. If my buddies got word of this they would definitely make some jokes about it. Probably innapropriate jokes. :O to say the least, I was pumped and ready to go. Please for the love of... Don't take that as a pun. Really. I'm a teacher. Here to teach. 100%. Maybe a little venture and exploring. Maybe some booze. But I'm here, to teach.

As time went by, Kat and I decided it was time for the inevitable... We stopped our attempts at communicating as much due mostly to my schedule during the month.

Soon after it all, we were graduating and saying our goodbyes. Goodbye drama. Goodbye friends. Hello to the next part of my life.

300+ Catholic Girls. Here I come.

Venture On.


No comments:

Post a Comment